Monday, August 8, 2011

Ocean

So I know this is three days overdue, but spending time with my girlfriend takes precedence over blogging. Although there was one time I blogged about spending time with my girlfriend while I was with her...so I guess that's okay. ANYWAY. Me and Vicki went to the John Butler Trio concert at the Bank of America Pavilion on Friday night, and OH MY GOD it was so awesome. It was the perfect combination of the roots/folk music they play and the jam band stuff where it's just ten minutes of pounding your foot along to the beat...I was literally biting my lower lip harder every second as each jam kept growing. The highlight of the night was obviously when John Butler played Ocean and was the only person on stage. I've listened to enough versions of Ocean on YouTube where I have a pretty good feel for what part he's gonna play next - listen to a few versions yourself and I bet you'll be able to figure it out. This version of Ocean was like a perfect compilation of every version I've seen on YouTube, so it was really easy for me to get completely lost in the song. Easy for Vicki, too. We may or may not have been, but definitely were, crying for about half the song. Her more than me though :) But it's okay, I asked her to make sure I could say that. What I especially love about Ocean is that you can tell when John Butler's gonna play it. He was talking about his troubles back home in Australia, and all of the Democrats and Republicans fighting. (At this point, I thought he was going to play Revolution.) And then he talked about how it's not about that, it's about how we're all people. (Well it has to be Ocean now.) And, I dunno, I just started getting teary-eyed halfway through haha. (Editor's Note: I feel like I'm describing this to someone over Facebook chat. When was the last time I laughed in a blog post?) But by the end of the song, I could tell that the scratchy outro strum was coming, and I just started laughing. In hindsight, I think I found it silly to be crying over such a thing, even if it was for a pleasant reason. These things should be embraced, should be let free to roam throughout your body, mind, and spirit, should be ringing in your ears at your beck and call.

It's not the best video quality ever, but it's not about that. It's about the song and the chilling energy it drives inside you. 6:45 to 8:20.


No comments:

Post a Comment