Wednesday, March 28, 2012

A musical experiment

Think of a CD that you know front to back. You know all the songs, the titles, and their order on the CD. Can you sing the first few notes of any song on the CD at random and have them be 100% accurate? If you know the individual songs that well, then probably. I think it goes beyond that, however. I think that if you know the CD as a cohesive unit, then after one song plays, you can sing the first few notes of the next song perfectly.

I'm like this with Sigh No More, the first album by Mumford & Sons. I can name all the songs in order, and can sing them. But when I'm listening to the CD in the car, on my computer, or on my iPod, after any song plays, I can sing the first few notes before they even play. It's really cool and I think it's so awesome that I can do that. I haven't been able to do it for any other CD, because I don't know any album as well as Sigh No More.

But I'm curious about this. What makes this a thing? Listen to your favorite CD, and try and sing some of the songs. Then do it one after another, trying to start the next song before it actually plays. What happens? Comment below! No one ever comments on my posts and it makes me really sad. Alright, no it doesn't. But I really am interested in this, though. SO COMMENT!

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome. I can do this with Taylor Swift's "Speak Now" CD and do it all the time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got John Mayer's "Continuum" down pat. I'm even to the point where if I put it on shuffle on iTunes I can usually predict what's next...don't know if that's good or bad but it is what it is.

    ReplyDelete