Monday, March 12, 2012

Why books are better than movies

We all know it's true, but has anybody actually figured out why? I think I have. It at least holds true if you read the book first. Books are better because the visual imagery is totally up to the reader. Sure, there are words on the page, but the reader is left to decide exactly how those words are interpreted. In movies, the visual imagery is there right in front of us - we have no other choice but to visualize it as we are seeing it on the screen.

What I believe to be the case if you watch a movie before the book, is that you'll just repeat the movie in your head as you read the book. Even though it's left to your interpretation, you've been exposed to visual imagery previously, which will take over as you read the book. I haven't tested out this latter hypothesis, but I hope I can at some point.

1 comment: