Monday, August 29, 2011

Values Game: Prologue

At Orientation over the summer, the Peer Mentors played a "game" called the Values Game. It was our last full day of training before our final day off before Orientation, and it was already late at night when we started. I had heard great things about the values game, and remembered enjoying playing it when I was a freshman at my own Orientation. It really made me think about what I believe, and what's instinctively rooted in my mind and heart. But my favorite thing is that it makes you appreciate. You appreciate your own life and the culmination of the moments you have, and you appreciate everyone else around you, for their hardships and their successes and beliefs. There are no judgments, or anything like that. Just silence after each person answers, as everyone lets it sink in. No follow-up questions, no discussions, just the next person answering. Some of the questions are fun to answer, while others bring people to tears (with no exceptions). So what I thought would be worth doing is periodically asking a Values Game question for all of you. Think about the question, and give yourself time to answer. Really think about what that answer means for you, because it can help you see who you are and what the world means to you.

Leave a comment with your story or answer if you wish on each post. Or better yet, maybe start your own blog and talk about your own values. Under each question, I'll share my answer, because this game is about being open with people and making connections with them. Share these connecitons and conversations with people you know, because it will strengthen and create bonds, as well as bring a sense of silent understanding between everyone you share it with.

No comments:

Post a Comment