Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Color Wars

Fact: Color Wars rules.

Every 6th week of the summer at camp, we have Color Wars, which pits four (five in previous years) teams against each other in a week-long...I dunno...we just do games and stuff against each other all week. I can't really put a noun to what Color Wars is. It's just Color Wars. This is my fourth (if I am correct) year doing Color Wars, out of my 6 at camp, and I've yet to win the whole thing. There's a giant banner that we hang in the cafeteria during the week to see each year's team winner, and all of the staff and campers that won (they get to write their names on the banner too). Some of the events we do include field events (wheelbarrow races, sprints, potato sack races), trivia, musical chairs, counselor dress-up, pie-eating contests, obstacle courses, and tug of war. I lied when I said that Color Wars runs all week - the last day is always Thursday, because usually the camp sleepover is that night, and everyone would be exhausted on Friday. But Color Wars gets real Wednesday afternoon.

Wednesday afternoon is when musical chairs and scooter races happen. It's the turning point between "there's still time" and "we need to win NOW" in Color Wars. And it's always the counselor musical chairs game that sets the tone. Everyone gets extremely into it, everyone looks on with deep intensity, and it's always louder as the game progresses. The obstacle course is always a nail-biter, as well, but the main event is and always will be tug of war.

Thankfully in years past I haven't been relied on to do tug of war, because...you know...I suck at it. But I think that will have to change this year, but hey - I'll do what it takes to bring home a Color Wars title.

Oh another thing - all of the counselors get to wear their team color instead of the usual staff shirts. So of course I got my entire wardrobe settled for this week - I'm on blue, so of course I had to break out the Nolan Smith jersey today. And there are of course the beads, bandanas, hats, and anything else blue you can find. I think our team is faring pretty well so far, but tomorrow's obviously the biggest day of the week. This sounds like a really choppy blog post, but whatever - there isn't one good way to explain what Color Wars is - you just have to experience it for yourself.

1 comment:

  1. Matt - you would have loved the days of the karaoke competition during color wars. I think we stopped it in '04. But it was hilarious. The Nolans did a rousing rendition of the Beastie Boys and the Hitman and Butch were doing their best Jon Bon Jovi impression with Livin' On A Prayer. Why on Earth my team, yellow, got stuck with "Copacabana" was beyond me? But nonetheless it was awesome to do with Kassapis.

    ReplyDelete