Saturday, August 20, 2011

A different way to play the "What If?" game

UPDATES!

Yes, that's right, my blog has a couple updates:
  • You can now share my blog with all of your friends on Facebook and Twitter! Granted, this might happen once ever, but hey - it's once more than it'd happen if I didn't have it.
  • You can feed 5 fish now too! Just click anywhere in the water and food will appear for the fish to eat. Trust me, it's more exciting than you think.
And those are all the updates I have. Now, here's the actual blog post!

Ever since about the spring of my senior year of high school, I've been considerably less of a thinker about scenarios than I used to be. I would always play out situations in my mind, thinking about how they could go, instead of just letting them come to me - sometimes, it's better to react than to act and try and get a head start on things, especially things that aren't easy to do. Many times, things don't always work out the way they want for us, and a lot of people have regrets about those things. Regrets are common among people, but that doesn't mean that it has to be common for you. The first/best/only example I can think of to explain this is fantasy baseball. Take this example - I picked up Randy Wolf, a pitcher, to pitch one game for me (today) and try and help my team lower its ERA and WHIP (Earned Run Average and Walks/Hits per Inning Pitched, respectively). He did the complete opposite. He gave up 5 earned runs in 6.1 IP, which equates to a 7.11 ERA. My team ERA for the playoff matchup is currently an even 5.00, which isn't good by any means. I wish I didn't pick up Wolf, because it would mean that my ERA would be lower than it is right now, and I'd have a better shot at winning the matchup (which ends a week from tomorrow, so there's still plenty of time, but I need all the help I can get right now).

So, yeah, Randy Wolf sucked today. BUT. That doesn't mean there were no bright spots for my pitchers, either. Matt Garza also pitched today, and he's been a pitcher that I've been on the fence with dropping for essentially the entire second half of the season. Especially at the beginning of this week, because he hasn't been pitching so well as of late. I decided to keep him on my team (either that, or it was me making a decision by deferring to make a decision) and he pitched very well today - 7 innings, 0 earned runs, 8 strikeouts, and a win. I'm really glad I kept Garza, because my ERA would be a lot higher than the 5.00 it is right now (5.625, to be exact). So it's also important to make note of the good moves you make, instead of harping on the bad ones.

Granted that fantasy baseball doesn't completely generalize to everything, but hopefully this is a good enough example of what I'm trying to say. Try and follow this example to highlight the good decisions you make in addition to, or even instead of regretting the bad ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment