Sunday, August 14, 2011

My 5 favorite Pokemon

Anyone who knows what a Game Boy is has played Pokemon at some point during their childhood. And/or at the end of their senior year of high school (guilty). When Raffi told me I should do a Pokemon desktop background post instead of sports, I decided to add on to that and talk about my 5 favorite Pokemon. And these are only the Red/Blue/Yellow Pokemon. None of this 500 Pokemon nonsense. So, in no particular order...

1. Articuno. Not only is this the best of the legendary birds, it also helped me beat the Elite Four, as well as destroy it in every subsequent challenge (with the help of Mewtwo from the second time on, of course). There's nothing like Ice Beaming someone and putting them out of commission before they can even get an attack off. And on top of that, it can fly. Anything that can use Fly is automatically boosted in the rankings. Even though these aren't rankings. But whatever.

2. Ninetales. I know that I set my profile picture as Rapidash for Favorite Pokemon Profile Picture Month, but I have to give the nod to Ninetales for this one. Despite the low HP, Ninetales could learn seemingly every move, so I ended up using it against every type of Pokemon when I was playing Silver on my laptop during first semester. (Seriously, I enjoyed Pokemon this much.) And I always thought Vulpix was cooler than Ponyta, so that was probably taken into subconscious consideration.

3. Hypno. A lot of these Pokemon have similar counterparts (see: Ninetales), and Hypno's doppelganger is Alakazam. Well, maybe not doppelganger, since the two look nothing alike, but when you think of Psychic Pokemon, those two are near the top of your list. I also had Hypno on my team, and it was just a monster. As in, it was literally the only thing I could use to easily defeat Ghost Pokemon. Not to mention that it had a gazillion HP. And could learn Dream Eater. Take that, Alakazam.

4. Dragonite. Maybe it's because Dragonite is one of the hardest Pokemon to get in the game, and definitely the hardest to achieve via evolution, but even independent of that, it's an awesome Pokemon. You're lying if you tell me you weren't secretly jumping for joy when you caught a Dratini, planning on leveling up to 30 for Dragonair, and 55 for Dragonite. But it was always worth it, especially when Hyper Beam came along. And what's great is that Dragon on Dragon is super-effective, so you could finally take down Lance with ease. And it's Pokemon #149, which means it's essentially the greatest thing not named...

5. Mewtwo. It almost had to be Mewtwo at the end of this list. Here's how it went after you defeated the Elite Four and Gary. You were Pokemon Champion, but you knew that you still had one last final task (that is, if you weren't planning on catching all 150 Pokemon). Fly to Cerulean City and enter Cerulean Cave, where that man was no longer guarding the entrance. You had your Master Ball in hand, ready to use it on the first turn. It was actually an easy task given that you could use it right away. But that didn't mean your heart didn't skip a beat with the battle music came on, anyway. Mewtwo, once you caught it, was easily the best Pokemon. It was already level 70 to begin with, was Psychic, and could learn a ton of different moves. You didn't "beat the game" until you caught Mewtwo. Didn't matter how many times you beat the Elite Four.

So there you have it. Five of the best and favorite Pokemon of not only my opinion, but maybe some of yours, too. Leave some comments if you agree or disagree. And please do - no one leaves comments and it makes me sad. But besides that, who doesn't love to talk about Pokemon?

2 comments:

  1. Hey Matt, it's Dan White. I saw your post about this on facebook and was really bored so I read it. I didn't know you had a blog. That's cool. Anywho, you said you were sad that you got no comments so I figured I'd be nice. Your list is quite good though I'd probably replace ninetails with gyarados and hypno with alakazam. Also, I don't know if this will post twice but for some reason after I posted it before it disappeared..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are pretty reasonable suggestions, given that Gyrados is so badass. Although it is kind of a pain to have to wait and level up Magikarp the entire time. Alakazam is pretty good too, but like I said, owning Hypno was the deal-breaker for me. Thanks for commenting though!

    ReplyDelete