Monday, March 21, 2011

Time, pt. 2

So I just finished completing a survey about our (my) strengths for Peer Mentor, and it was 177 questions of introspect, which obviously brought my eyes to a gleam. A few of the questions were about how we (I (I don't know why I keep doing this)) think about time, i.e. the past, present, and future. Each question offered responses that were "I Strongly Agree with this" for each statement (of which there were two), or neutral. A lot of the questions about how we (I) think about the past/present/future really got my mind going (which was sometimes troubling, because we (I) only had 20 seconds to answer each question). I like to think about the past and future, sure, but the only time that I can act in is the present, which is always changing. As one of my good friends once told me, some guy (maybe a politician (hell if I know)) was asked what his four-year plan was, to which he responded, "You tell me what's going to happen in four years, and I'll tell you what my four-year plan is." I love that quote, because it's so true. We have no idea what's going to happen in four years, or four months, or probably even in four days. Things happen unexpectedly, and the important thing is not how we can expect the unexpected, but how we react to the unexpected, and make the most of what we're given in the present. Only then can we truly live in the present.

No comments:

Post a Comment