Thursday, March 17, 2011

Cue the indie rock montage

Baseball hasn't even started yet, and I already want summer. I'm getting too far ahead of myself these days, always looking forward to the next exciting thing. I don't see that as a bad thing, but I do need to enjoy life right now for a while. I mean come on...March Madness is in full swing, the first half of spring break has been fantastic, and the weather is finally getting warm. But there's so much to look forward to: Opening Day at Fenway is only about 3 weeks away, the Relay for Life at Stonehill is a day after that, I'll be home for summer in less than 2 months, Stonehill Orientation (from the other side now) is not too far away...but the one thing I'm really looking forward to is just straight chilling at night during the summer with my friends. There was something about the summer after our senior year that made it special. Fresh off graduation and looking forward to a fresh start...it was like we owned the world for a few months, doing what we wanted, when, where, and how we wanted to do it. But I would always love just sitting around doing nothing at night. Outside with the world around you, so far away, yet right at home. And cue the indie rock montage as the end scene fades into glorious bliss.

At the end of a multitude of House episodes, the last couple of minutes consists of a montage of each character, with some indie rock song that 3% of people have ever heard of playing. It usually shows a hint of happiness in every character, this melancholic happiness that intertwines perfectly with the music. These episode endings aren't designed to leave the viewer surprised, or even wondering about next week's episode. As the avid House fan I am, I'm left somewhat disappointed by these endings, because I want the thrill of the unpredictability that House thrives on. But in the right moment, these indie rock montages just capture the brilliance of everything. They give whoever is watching their own melancholic contentment, with the sense of self-satisfaction in our own life. I'm very satisfied with where I'm at in life right now, but damn...I wish I could have this satisfaction in summer right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment