Monday, January 31, 2011

Relay for Life

Few things in this world impact everyone. That is to say, there aren't a lot of events or things in life where almost every single person can say "I know someone who..." Cancer is one of those things. Almost everyone knows someone who has or had cancer, and it has impacted their life and the lives around them. It is a tragic, life-changing experience to be diagnosed with cancer, and the subsequent years are a continuous battle. However, no one has to be alone in this battle. No one has to be alone in any battle for that matter, which is what the point of this post is. I'm not asking you for money. I'm asking that you be there for that person. Be supportive by their side, comfort them, do whatever it takes to bring joy into that person's life.

Everyone can do so much more than this, however. We can be by the sides of strangers, and people we do not know or cannot see. Cancer has a minimal impact on me as I do not know dozens of people with it, or anyone very close to me, but I am aware that it exists and is troubling the lives of millions of people. We can't stop this overnight, but we can definitely take it one step at a time.

One of these steps is the Relay for Life, which is an overnight event whose primary objective is to raise money for the American Cancer Society, which helps with cancer research. I won't give you all of the details, because I want you to find out for yourself. Here is the Relay for Life website, where you can donate to teams, or make your own team. Like I said before, I'm not asking that you donate to me or to my team specifically (although if you would like to, here is where you would do it). My hope is that in reading this post, you will be moved enough to the point where you want to donate and help end the battle with cancer.

Relay for Life's message is simple. "Celebrate. Remember. Fight back." That's all it takes.

No comments:

Post a Comment