Thursday, January 20, 2011

10 Awesome Covers

So I was on Pandora Radio last week (Internet contribution #1), and came across a cover of OneRepublic's "Apologize," sung by Silverstein. I went to YouTube (Internet contribution #2) to copy the URL into a video to mp3 converter (Internet contribution #3) (and come to think of it...maybe I shouldn't be saying this...), and put it on my iPod. I noticed that the cover was from an album called Punk Goes Pop, and learned that Punk went other things, as well. Wikipedia (Internet contribution #4) informed me of all of the genres that Punk Goes... covered, and I looked up each album and its songs, downloading songs I liked. Lather, rinse, repeat. So now I have been inspired to share some of my favorite covers with you. In no particular order...

1. Apologize - Silverstein. A cover of OneRepublic, there's not many things in music better than loudness and heavy guitars. Before you tell me about the screaming part, allow me to tell you that this singer actually has a good voice and this is a well performed song.


2. We Are the Champions - Mayday Parade. A cover of the Queen classic, this might be one of the closest covers to the original in the list. If Queen were around today, I bet this is what they would sound like.


3. The Boys of Summer - The Ataris. I would probably put this in my "10 Awesome Songs" blog post if I had one - this song is just way too awesome to not be in any playlist of awesome things.


4. Jumper - Bedlight for Blue Eyes. This song gets progressively louder and fuller - it's just a guitar and vocals in the beginning, but ends up doing justice to Third Eye Blind's hit. And I'm always a sucker when there is piano in a song.


5. Free Fallin' - The Almost. If you hear the words "Free Fallin'" and "cover," your mind will probably go right to John Mayer. Another product of Punk Goes Classic Rock, this cover is better than John Mayer's version, and depending on your taste, better than Tom Petty's classic rock hit too. Like I said...loudness and heavy guitars.


6. Enjoy the Silence - Anberlin. This song is eerily similar to the original, performed by Depeche Mode. I love Anberlin's lead singer's voice, and this is an overall solid cover.


7. Wanted Dead or Alive - Daughtry. I love how every Daughtry song sounds, and I also love acoustic strumming backing up vocals, so I mean...I kinda have to put this song on here. And off the topic of covers for a minute...I continue to maintain that Daughtry is arguably the best thing to happen to American Idol. Yes, Kelly Clarkon was huge, but in her own genre, and Carrie Underwood is huge, but in her own genre. Daughtry is huge in his genre, and deserved way better than a 4th place finish. Eliot Yamin, Kat McPhee, and Taylor Hicks have collectively produced maybe two good songs. Daughtry has two good albums. Congratulations, America. You were wrong.


8. Live and Let Die - Guns 'n' Roses. In perhaps another controversial, off-topic remark...I'm not a huge fan of the Beatles. Their style just doesn't do it for me. Guns 'n' Roses however, sometimes do. If you disagree and think that Paul McCartney's version is better, well, sucks to Paul McCartney's version. And ass-mar.


9 (tie). Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley and Hallelujah - Rufus Wainwright. I do personally think that each of these covers is better than the original by Leonard Cohen, and the version sung by those 4 Norwegian guys on Youtube. But I can't decide which version is better than the other. Each has its own beauty about it...Jeff Buckley's version is slower and more dramatic, while Rufus Wainwright's version (featured in Shrek) is more straightforward and neat. My one gripe with Wainwright's version is that he plays an E minor in the second to last chord before the chorus, while Buckley plays the much better-sounding E major. Regardless, these are both very good covers.

 

10. Somewhere Over the Rainbow - Israel Kamakawiwo'ole. This is a cover of a couple of different songs - Somewhere Over the Rainbow, and What a Wonderful World. This is easily the best feel-good song on this playlist, and while it's not an exact cover of any particular song, it's awesome. So that's why I end with this song.


Covers that didn't make the cut:
Time After Time - Quietdrive
Hey Ya - Obadiah Parker
Here Comes the Sun - Yo-Yo Ma & James Taylor
Bittersweet Symphony - Ace Enders & Others
Life is a Highway - Rascal Flatts

No comments:

Post a Comment