Sunday, October 21, 2012

I Believe

Alright, it took a couple days after it happened, but here it is. All about Stonehill's nationally televised football game against #3 New Haven, and the epic 45-41 loss that lasted almost four hours.

As for the game itself -- literally the best football game I've ever seen. Both teams played tremendously well. New Haven made it very clear why they're ranked third in the nation - an offense that absolutely does not stop, and a defense that can completely shut down the running game. Not to mention that they went 6-0 without their quarterback. The QB that we all saw was playing in his first game of the season...pretty impressive. The game was filled with lead changes, long drives, defensive stops, high-energy plays, and lots of tension. Stonehill football put the program on the map, against a team that many people thought they had no business coming within double-digits of. Yet here we were, one third-down stop from a nationally televised upset.

But, as usually is the case with Stonehill sports and my blog posts, it's not always about the game. This post is no exception - this is about the fans. That was easily one of, if not the best sports environment I've ever been a part of. Including two World Series games, BC basketball games against North Carolina and Duke, and a couple of awesome Stonehill/Bentley basketball games. This was my favorite night at Stonehill during a school year ever, and almost was better than Playfair. To put anything near the same level as Playfair is one of the highest honors I can send out. And it's because everyone was putting everything they could into this game. As drained as I was after the contest, I felt that others were just as emotionally and physically exhausted as I was. But guess what? This doesn't have to be the exception!!!! It wasn't as though we brought in another school to come cheer with us...what everyone saw was Stonehill. This is what it could be like every week, peeps. Football has the potential for one home playoff game, and everyone better be at that one. There was such an awesome environment at the New Haven game that I don't want it to go to waste. I don't want people to say, "Remember how fun being at the New Haven game was?" No. I want people to say, "Remember how fun going to football games was?" Same goes for basketball. The Bentley game is my favorite of the season, because everyone goes, and everyone goes nuts. But why can't every game be like that?!

Sure, not every game is nationally televised against one of the top teams in the country, with a thousand free t-shirts and rally towels. But every game is free, at Stonehill, and features a damn good team. That should be reason enough. So, this is my call to everyone. Imploring you to get absolutely pumped up for Midnight Madness, and to make sure that this Thursday isn't the most-attended basketball event of the year. Here are some quick tips on what to bring to games:


  • Yourself! Trust me, it's so much fun going to basketball games. I know I'm only talking football and basketball here, but whatever sport you want to support, go support them. Be at the games.
  • Purple stuff. Everyone should have some kind of purple t-shirt. Wear it when you go to the game. Bring the rally towel, or a cowbell, or a vuvuzela, or whatever.
  • Noise. See above for some material examples, but your voice is always killer. Yell, scream, chant, cheer, and get involved in the game.
  • Someone else. Literally one person. Then tell that one person to bring someone, and so on. Everyone has friends, everyone knows someone. Get them to go with you. Lather, rinse, repeat.
I'm not trying to sound like I'm the greatest fan of sports at Stonehill, because I'm not. I don't want to be. (My voice can't hold up that long.) But I want everyone to feel excited about going to sports games for the team, not because it's something to do on a Saturday afternoon. Alright, I'm done. I've more than made my point...I hope. GO TO GAMES!


No comments:

Post a Comment