Monday, October 29, 2012

Hurricane Sandy running diary

Damn straight I'm doing a running diary today...despite the fact that this Monday will be like any other Monday for me as of 2:15pm (when I would normally get out of class), not many Mondays have hurricane status updates. Which is badass, and thus requires a running diary. Not entirely sure how long this will last (the duration of the hurricane seems like a fair starting point), but I'm not sure of a lot of things I end up blogging about.

12:13pm: I have to remember today to keep looking at my computer screen for the time instead of my iHome, which I unplugged last night in case power went out. Whenever I plug it back in, it starts at noon, so by my watch now, it's 16 minutes ahead. Then again, I could always just change the time...

12:31: You know when the windows in the car are so rainy on the outside that you roll down the windows to clean the water off? I want to do that to the window in my room, except that I would get hurricaned if that happened. Oops.

1:03: When the speed of the wind is faster than the speed of the rain, and thus makes it rain in all different directions, it becomes either really cool or really concerning. I guess that depends on whether or not you're dry.

1:09: I'm only waiting for the moment my storm window breaks and the rain starts to pellet my actual window. At that point, it's only a matter of time before New Hall falls to the ground.

2:23: Days off from school are good for two things. Actually, three, but there might be some mutually exclusiveness involved. Days off are good for doing nothing, getting ahead on your homework, and watching The Price is Right.

4:17: I suppose the previous couple of hours would be filed under "doing nothing..." suite bonding has consisted of cleaning the suite, knee hockey, Stratego, and NHL12. Just a typical hurricane in New Hall 415.

4:47: I don't think I've actually talked about the weather at any point today...this is more of a what-I-do-today diary than anything about the hurricane...uh, it's pretty windy and rainy outside, and it's wet...yep...definitely wet outside...

7:21: Right now, it's about the midway point between when Stonehill said they would decide on whether or not to cancel class, and when they changed their decision time (9:00). Tensions continue to be pretty light, but restlessness is increasing as the winds and rain pick up outside.

8:32: Gotta love the fake listserv about classes being cancelled. Even better might've been everyone's initial reactions to it, and then everyone's reactions to realizing that it wasn't real. I wonder how everything will play out in half an hour...

9:17: Well, we have class. Not really surprised after this one, since Stonehill's been pretty adamant about having classes for us. Which I'm totally fine with, because this is why we're here and everything. No one's paying tens of thousands of dollars to not go to class...I could do that for free. So I suppose this should conclude my day-long running diary of Hurricane Sandy. Which, in hindsight, turned out to be me coming back to my computer every once in a while to type whatever I was doing. Which officially puts this running diary third in my list of three running diaries, as far as how much I enjoyed it. Better idea heading into it than it ended up being, but hey. Live and let learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment