Sunday, December 18, 2011

What I want to do for my career

I drafted my fantasy basketball team this morning, and before the draft, I was looking up some draft-day tips and strategies on ESPN's website, and I came across a simple graphic.


Simply put, this chart shows the numbers of players who are 1, 2, 3, and 4 standard deviations above the mean for all of the categories on the left. From the chart, you can see that 12 players are 3 standard deviations or more above the mean in assists, which means that there is an abundance of assists to draft. I wasn't as intrigued by the chart itself instead of the work it took to create the chart. ESPN has statistics and data from every single player, every single game, and every single box score, combines them to create season totals for each player, and then uses the data to see which players excel above all others at their position. And I thought about it...all the data entries, research, number-crunching...I would LOVE to get paid to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment