Wednesday, November 16, 2011

10 songs from the 90's

Hump Day, thou hast not yet defeated me. Despite my four classes, homework for four classes (of which included Multivariable Calculus), there is one thing to give today that kick-ass feeling: 90's music. (Editor's Note: I always used to be a strong proponent of not using an apostrophe when referring to decades or centuries, but as of right now, I kinda like it.) Thanks to StumbleUpon, a Google search of VH1's Top 100 Songs of the 90's, and immediate rejection at the first 26 songs, I decided to post what I think are 10 songs many people think of when they think about music in the 1990's, while tossing in a couple of my favorites as well. So, here you go: killer songs from the 90's. The number in front of the song is VH1's placement on its Top 100 list.

1. #42: Shine - Collective Soul. Whenever I would go for a run during baseball practice in high school, I'd always listen to this song. Repeatedly. It's just such an awesome, heavy, kick-ass song. Straight up.

2. #27: Mr. Jones - Counting Crows. This was the first song I liked (as a 90's song) on the list (there are plenty I love before #27, they just didn't have that 90's feel), and that's because everyone knows it, it's another awesome song, and fun to pretend you know the words to.

3. #90: You Get What You Give - New Radicals. If I ever do a post on the greatest songs to listen to on Saturday afternoon in the summer with the windows down because it's sunny and 90 degrees, this is going to be at the top of the list. And likely to reappear multiple times on said list.

4. #72: One Week - Barenaked Ladies. These guys have the most ludicrous lyrics which are horribly impossible to sing/learn/understand. However, I think that's what makes them a really cool band. The fast, short words make it seem happy. Even if what I can hear from the lyrics doesn't sound that happy.

5. #45: Only Wanna Be With You - Hootie and the Blowfish. Hootie is another band that I immediately think of when I think of the 90's. A lot of their songs are really singable, and easy to play on guitar. Kinda seemed like a theme of the 90's.

6. #34: Semi-Charmed Life - Third Eye Blind. This is pretty much synonymous with the concept of everyone singing this song once it's played. Yet another theme of the 90's. Also really good for the song. It also helps that this song is simply one of the greatest songs ever.

7. #39: Iris - Goo Goo Dolls. Maybe it's just me and my friends, but I feel like certain songs are meant to be sung in one and only one circumstance. For this, it's when you're driving home from somewhere and it's night, and you know that there are only one or two more songs left.

8. #48: 3 A.M. - Matchbox Twenty. Yeah...this is what we play once Iris ends. My favorite part is the end of the bridge, right before the chorus. It's always fun to yell to and pretend you're good at singing. Which should probably left to Rob Thomas...nah...

9. #37: Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) - Green Day. I'm not sure why it's taken me until now realize the contradiction between good riddance and having the time of your life, but, when in Rome... This was also the 5th-grade graduation song for two of the three elementary schools in Watertown. The school that didn't have it was mine. Wanna know what was? Gettin' Jiggy With It. Hell yeah.

10. #33: Wonderwall - Oasis. I was reluctant to put this on the list, only because it's the epitome of "You play guitar? Cool! Do you know Wonderwall?" Not that I don't like the song, but I feel like it's a little more cliché than it needs to be. Although it is always fun to jam out to.

Honorable Mention: Absolutely (Story of a Girl) - Nine Days. I'm beginning to think that this might be the greatest song ever. Any time it's on the radio or Pandora, a little more of me thinks this. And it's probably true - there are a handful of different versions with slight differences in intricacies, but the main structure of the song is the same. Basically, this song is the greatest. The end.

1 comment: