Monday, May 19, 2014

The only moment we were alone

Stonehill, you beautiful place, you.

Words cannot do justice for the amount of gratitude I have to have been able to experience four years of my life at such a place. But I have to use words, because I have nothing else at this moment. The extent to which I've looked back on my time at Stonehill is rather significant (here's a reminder, if you need one), and especially so for the interactions and relationships that I've had with people. I've been saying from day one that the people are what make this place special, and that never changed over four years. But one thing I never thought of were the moments that I shared with these people on an individual level. "The people at Stonehill" has always represented a group, almost an indescribable idea that you have to experience for yourself. Well, I have, and some of the most salient memories I have of Stonehill are with only one other person. Out of all the time I've spent with my friends, all the time I've been doing something-or-other at Stonehill, what stands out are the moments I was alone with someone. Talking about broken relationships at lunch. Trying to find out our place in this world, and if God has anything to do with it. Watching T.J. Oshie's shootout against Russia in the Olympics, forced to yell quietly so as not to disturb a sleeping suite. Sitting on the stone wall by O'Hara Pond at 3:30 a.m. Fearing for our lives about what people might hear us talk about from the top bunk to the bottom. Realizing that we lose people, but that we also continue on. Laying on the beach with an almost-full moon reflecting off the water. Making music in a soundproof studio. This is obviously not a comprehensive list, but these are some examples of times when I was alone with someone, learning about myself and them, about us and the world in which we live.

The people at Stonehill had so strong an impact on my life. So did the people who got me to Stonehill. Teachers who taught me a lot more than calculus or statistics or psychology or physics. Coaches who showed me the value of discipline and pride. Friends who brought an energy that I still feel many years later, one that I tried to bring to Stonehill with me. My family, who has wanted nothing but the best for me, always pushing me to go after what I want. Grandparents and great aunts and other relatives who always welcomed a phone call or surprise visit. Again, many others have a place here.

Even though people come in and out of our lives, and the value that certain people have in our lives changes from time to time, what remains transcendent of it all is the memory. Whether I see my Stonehill friends again in twelve hours, a week, or perhaps five years, I will always have the memories of our time at Stonehill, just as I have the memories of my time in high school. And the moments we were alone are what will be there every day. Think about your moments. Maybe even write them down, so you have them to look back on, so you can remember some of your most special times. Stonehill is a special place, but only because we made it.

One final memory that was shared with many, many people.

No comments:

Post a Comment