Monday, December 30, 2013

Top 10 posts of 2013

So, I've been out of commission (post-wise) for a little over a week now, but as we wrap up 2013, I'll do the same with my blog, and talk about my ten favorite posts from this year. Not necessarily those with the most pageviews, but the ones that I enjoyed writing the most. Or were most meaningful. There really isn't any criteria for this, and there isn't any order, but these are the ten posts out of all the posts of 2013 that I'm going with. In chronological order...

1. Valley of the shadow of death. It was cool to be able to talk about Lost in this sense...actually no, I don't talk about Lost at all here. Well, the 23rd Psalm is referenced in the show, has its own episode, blah blah blah. Point is, I still believe these words now, and one example of people not giving themselves credit is in sports. Every time someone who hits the game-winning shot, or a walkoff home run, thanks God for their success, I cry out for that player to take some of the credit. GOD DIDN'T HIT THAT HOME RUN! This is what this post gets at, and I like it.

2. Murder, we wrote. Yes, I would have loved it if the Patriots beat the Ravens in the AFC Championship game, and had gone on to win the Super Bowl, but this is still an important post to me because it reminds us of the feel-good stories that we should be thinking about.

3. 7 things I'm glad I did at Stonehill. Stonehill kicks ass, and one of the reasons it does is because people can do whatever they want, so they do, and then they get really passionate about what they do and want to tell the world. And what's even better about Stonehill is that everyone gets each other's passion. It may not be shared, but there's something that everyone feels strongly about, and it's because they got involved. Thus, this post.

4. 5 funny autocorrects. This is something that will never fail to make me laugh, and it's important that we laugh, and are able to laugh. Plus, it's always good that this kind of stuff usually involves crude, adult humor.

5. Death be not proud. It had been a while since I was able to spin off some contradictory writing, but I think I pulled it off in this post. Acknowledging the absence of realness makes our lives real - understanding that we will die makes life that much more important. I wish there was a really good House compilation video that has clips of House talking about this, because it's one of his main beliefs, and something that is talked about on the show fairly often.

6. 7 days, 7 thoughts. This is just an important post to me. It was one of those posts that was half to myself and half to everyone reading (possibly even you!), and with everything that had gone down this past April, to be able to put some of it in perspective was necessary and helpful for me.

7. 100 questions to ask people. With no posts from May, June, or July, this may have been somewhat of a lackluster summer...hunh...anyway, doing long surveys is always fun, because you get to learn something about yourself that you might have never thought about if you weren't doing a long survey.

8. "The Earth Is Not A Cold Place" running diary, revisited. I can't have a "Best Of" post without putting some EITS on the list. It was fun enough to do this the first time around, but to be able to have fresh ideas about my favorite album ever was cool to think about. There's something special, almost sacred, about sitting in a quiet place with what you consider to be the most important music you know and writing about it.

9. Boston Strongest, pt. 2. The second of my three "Hey, the Red Sox won the World Series" post saga talked about what this win meant of the city of Boston, and what Boston meant for these 2013 Red Sox. Again, this is something that I felt that I had to put on the list, so here it is.

10. Win or lose, together. It was good to actually understand why my favorite two sports teams are my favorite two sports teams. A semester of Sport Psychology did me some good, and got me asking some important questions, to myself and to sports in general, and it was fun to think about what makes me like certain teams over others. Plus, I got to reference my days as a varsity basketball player, all four points' worth.

I feel as though I could do this forever, that I could have a Top 50 of 2013 and get away with it, and just talk about every blog post that wasn't a throwaway blog post. That's a good thing, I think, that I know my posts well enough to be able to pull them up and talk about them in a little paragraph. So in looking back at the year that was 2013, we now look ahead to what 2014 will bring us, and for my blog, I'm not sure. It'll be interesting to see what happens after graduation, if that'll leave me with way more time to blog, or if I'll phase it out. I really hope it's not the latter, because I love blogging and having a place where I can talk about pretty much anything. So thanks for reading, and thanks for reading all year long!

No comments:

Post a Comment