Thursday, December 12, 2013

Final thoughts

(Editor's Note: This is in no way an ultimate blog post, nor the indication of a hiatus. Simply some thoughts on the day before the start of finals. I had to use the cool-sounding title, so apologies if you thought I was going anywhere.)

My favorite phenomenon regarding finals week is the reality that somehow, you have all the time in the world on your hands. During the last two weeks of class, I was freaking out about the two unit tests, cumulative final, group presentation, and paper that I would have to worry about in a seven-day span. It's an average amount of finals work for the semesters that I've had, but I think I was freaking out about it a little more than usual. But now that it's Reading Day, I could wake up whenever I wanted, and I had all day to do...well, nothing, really. Ran some errands in the morning, finished up the third season of House (I know, that has been horribly lacking, but there will be updates all throughout winter break, I hope), edited said paper, and I'm just kind of hanging around for the rest of the day. I hope this is what the working world is like, where you do what you need to and then you don't really have to do much. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

One album that I've been listening to all day is Old World Romance by the artist Sea Wolf. I can't really explain what kind of music it is, because I can't articulate it yet. A part of this album sounds like it belongs at the end of a House episode. The singer sounds like a watered-down version of Bob Dylan, which could be a stretch, but I thought it at one point. The sound of the songs is pretty much like this - I feel that I've heard these songs before, but I feel that I haven't heard them in this particular way. It's like a spinoff TV show that eventually takes on its own personality. That might make no sense, but there are some good songs nonetheless. "Priscilla" and "Saint Catherine Street" are my two favorites, so check those out if you have some time.

This is the first time that I've given conscious thought to the fact that there are a decent number of people who read my blog who have already graduated college (at least, I hope so). By which I mean the Stonehill Class of 2013, but even then, I know my parents read this, hell, 19 people from Ukraine have come across my blog in the past week. There isn't really much more I have to say than I'm now aware of this, but it's just something that's interesting, that I don't think I can write a blog post where any given person coming across it will find it useful or enjoyable. I wonder if I've done that before...I should go back and look. Or perhaps start writing to accomplish this. Interesting thoughts.

Well, I think that's it for now. Like I said, I have nothing to do, so maybe I'll stir for a while, maybe play some GTA IV, maybe nap. In case you already forgot, here's "Saint Catherine Street" by Sea Wolf.

No comments:

Post a Comment