Monday, August 6, 2012

What do you go home to?

Home. I think I'll be thinking about that word so much in this blog post that it's going to sound weird whenever I say it in my head. But what is it, this home? I think that "home" is an entirely abstract idea. Or at least that it means something different for everyone. So much can be asked about it - where it is, how you find it, what it feels like, what it sounds like, smells like...a home can be any or all of these things. Maybe home is where you live. Maybe it's a group of friends you've known for a long time. Maybe it's one person that you feel most connected to. A place. A sanctuary; somewhere you feel safe, secure.

For me, though, home is a state of being, state of feeling. When I think about the things that could represent home for me, I can't help but feel a surge of emotions coursing through my body. I naturally have a strong emotional connection to those people, places, sounds, sights, and smells. What "home" is to me is the byproduct of thinking about people, places, and other things. Home is everything resonating throughout you, all at once, derived from the love in your life.

This means that all of us can go home at any point - we just need to know how. We need those moments to step back from everything and let our thoughts and words out, even if it's to nobody in particular. When we do that, when we release our thoughts and words, all that remains are our emotions. Positive or negative, you can feel it. You know it's there...it's real. When emotion is all that's left, it will consume you, and take over your body. Let it. That feeling is what home is.

No comments:

Post a Comment