Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Closing ceremonies, pt. 2

A few other things that I forgot to blog about last night:

I helped Vicki move into her room in Villa yesterday, which went rather swimmingly. Her room is awesome and made me really excited to have a single in the fall. (As much as I'll miss my pal Jimbo while he's in Paris, I do enjoy coming back to nothing happening in my room.) Plus it'll be nice to go back to Villa every now and then and still be somewhat connected to it. I also realized yesterday how easy it is for me to move in places. I feel like I just toss everything in the room and spend a couple of hours rearranging everything. That being said, I think I suck at setting up rooms. Freshman year was a mess until my roommate and I bunked our beds (best idea ever), and last year, everything was moved around once James got into the room. Now that I have a single, no one can stop me!

I made my return to Camp Pequossette this week, in what would have been my seventh summer working. I realized today that I've been at camp longer than some of the campers have even been alive, which is scary on so many levels. It did make me think though, about people only being around for certain stages of our lives. Cohort effects, if my sociology memory serves me well. For example, I don't know what it was like when the Red Sox lost the World Series in 1986, yet my parents were in their mid-20s at the time, fully aware of how awful it was. I've had campers who were born after the millennium...by this point, I've also had campers who are now in high school...this stuff is scary cool.

Lastly, I spent about twenty minutes in the pool just now, right before I came to blog. I was just leaning against the wall, observing my arms, legs, and body, picking up on each individual hair. It was really cool to be in the stillness of the pool. The word I thought of was "unkempt," which is actually the exact opposite of what was really happening. Still, it was a quiet surface. I could move the water around below the surface and feel the rippling effects against my body, which was really cool. Try it sometime if you ever get the chance...it's really nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment