Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Closing ceremonies

One week removed from my most recent blog post, and one week before my return to Stonehill for another year, I can't think of a much better time to blog than now. Actually, that's a complete lie - I've been meaning to blog something or other every now and then since said week, but either haven't had time to sufficiently do it, or just haven't had the motivation. And like every time I want to blog about lots of stuff but end up always putting it off, I'm just going to write about everything at once. That works, right?

One thing I was going to blog about was ten Olympic events I watched in the past two weeks. And by watched, I mean actually (somewhat) cared about as it was happening. (Sorry, basketball. The gold medal was ours from the start.) Handball was exciting because it looks like a combination of a hockey powerplay, basketball, and some third thing. Water polo had Mike Emrick commentating, which was an automatic win. Beach volleyball looked so cool because everyone made diving plays left and right. Indoor volleyball was great because people do freakishly athletic things in that game. Track and field further emphasized the freak athletes, as well as swimming. But gymnastics...I could do probably no more than 3% of what gymnasts do, male and female. Mad props to anyone who can stand on a 4" wide beam, jump in the air, flip, and land on said beam. Like sure, if you fall off, you lose any chance of medaling, but you're still in my good graces.

I was also going to blog about some albums that I love. I think I could have come up with ten, but since this is one cluster of a blog post, it goes here. It would only make sense that the albums from some of my favorite bands are represented here - The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place and Take Care, Take Care, Take Care by Explosions in the Sky...In Your Honor by Foo Fighters...Leave This Town and Daughtry by Daughtry, The Joshua Tree by U2, Young the Giant by Young the Giant, and Bon Iver, Bon Iver by Bon Iver. Just to name a few.

I think I'll actually save this one for another time, but I do want to talk about some of my favorite quotes. Well, when I say I want to talk about them, I mean I'll talk about them at a later time. Not just any quote gets tossed into my favorites category...I need some real meaning out of it. That needs its own post.

I was also going to talk about some things I need to do in the next week...some editing on my paper from my summer work, ordering some (all) of my books...it feels like I really needed to do a lot more than that. Pack for school...maybe my brain is just blocking entry to that part of my memory, because, well, none of that is really super fun. "Things I need to do" and "Things I want to do" have very different initial emotions.

So the Red Sox suck now, huh? I actually believed for a while, but I think I know what the problem is (besides our entire team just not playing well). It's the damn media. Everyone jumps ALL OVER the Red Sox when they dip a few games below .500, and yes, some of it is warranted, but don't aim it directly at players! It gives them something to complain about and whine about (see: Beckett, Josh) and then perform poorly in regards to. Although, come to think about it, I feel like I sound whiny and like I'm complaining. Time to quit while I'm ahead...real blog post to follow...eventually...

No comments:

Post a Comment