Saturday, August 18, 2012

Person of interest

The goal of How We Decide is not simply to inform the readers how we make our decisions, and what goes on in our brain as it's happening; the goal is to implore us to think about how we think - metacognition, in the book, and to use metacognition to make better decisions in our lives. However, metacognition doesn't have to apply solely to decision-making. I think that we can always be aware of our feelings and thoughts, on another layer deeper than simply having them. One of my favorite things, when it happens, is when I'll be talking about something that I find interesting, and then I find it interesting that I find it interesting. As if I'm not supposed to be intrigued by it, or something. House does this a lot, too. He'll be brought a case by Foreman, and wonder why Foreman brought the case to him in the first place. The most important question isn't how or what, but why. Why we do things, why we find something interesting, is more important than simply enjoying something. To be able to take that self-recognition one level deeper allows us to know ourselves even better than we could ever imagine. So this is what I implore - be aware of not only what you find interesting, but why. Why does something unsettle you? Why do you want the course of events to run a certain way? By understanding why, we understand more about ourselves. Which is awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment