Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Excerpts from "This I Believe," Part 2

So this is the same deal as the first post I did while I read This I Believe. Here, I'll just continue to post quotes as I go along and talk about them.

(Allison, Jay, and Dan Gediman. This I Believe: The Personal Philosophies of Remarkable Men and Women. New York: This I Believe, 2006. Print.)

- "If I were to discover that there is no afterlife, my motive for moral living would not be destroyed. I have enough of the philosopher in me to love righteousness for its own sake."
This is a great quote I think, and a great way to live one's life. I believe something similar to this quote - what the truth is in terms of a deity, god, or afterlife, shouldn't affect how we live our conscious lives on Earth. Yeah, I understand people hold beliefs where what they do on Earth affects what their outcome is in the afterlife, but those people are putting time and energy doing things that may not even benefit them. Of course, no one's sure if those people reap the rewards of their work on Earth, because we can't tap into the afterlife. We just have to go off of what we know in life, and in living.

- "I believe freedom begins with naming things. Humanity is preserved by it."
This quote is kind of similar to one in my first This I Believe post, where it talks about acknowledging something that may have happened to you, and giving it a name. When you give something a name, you give meaning, life, and implications to it. That name exists to you in that moment and holds a certain relevance for you. When something is troubling you, don't keep it inside. Give it a name, so you can begin to tackle it and overcome it.

That's it for right now...I'm about a third of the way through the book, so there will definitely be more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment