Tuesday, September 2, 2014

(Don't) look back in anger

I'm angry at the world right now.

I'm angry at all of these celebrities who are making complete fools of themselves, and then trying to put on a façade of being apologetic and repentant and remorseful. Cee Lo Green for comments about rape. Justin Bieber's arrest for dangerous driving and assault. Wes Welker for doing drugs at the Kentucky Derby. (Welker's example also BARELY scrapes at the surface of the problems I have with the NFL. That's a rant for another time, although I'm sure that time will come soon enough.) I'm hoping to have some more concrete evidence with this, but my guess is that at least once a day on Twitter (or that trending-esque feature Facebook has) a celebrity is trending for the wrong reasons. I know that there are hundreds of people doing these exact same things as celebrities, but the so-called role models that we pay all this attention to and that we give all of these TV shows to are the ones we hear about most. Yes, I have a problem with the choices that these people make. There's a bigger problem I have with this, though.

WHY DO WE STILL CARE?!

I'm at a point in my life where nothing surprises me anymore. At least with this kind of stuff.

[Insert NFL player] got suspended for [insert act that would get you and me fired from our jobs, and arrested]? And he still gets to play in a majority of his teams' games?

[Insert celebrity] did [insert (again) something that would get you and me arrested] and as a result, everyone is talking even more about them?

Why do we put so much value into following these peoples' lives? The number of people whose lives are actually affected by what Justin Bieber did today, or will do tomorrow, upsets me. And yes, I'm fully aware that there are people in this world who I will never meet, and yet I follow their lives intently. If you really care that much about Bieber, or anyone who you think fits in to the general group of people that I'm pissed off at, go ahead and tell me I'm an idiot.

I'm not telling you that you're wrong. I'm asking you to think about why you think you're right.

No comments:

Post a Comment