Friday, August 22, 2014

10 super awesome covers

For those who remember all the way back to my tenth blog post, I threw down some songs that were really good covers. Some 413 blog posts later, I've decided to do it again. Without the help of Pandora, here are ten more covers that are fantastic. All opinions of this post are solely mine, and do not reflect the opinions of anyone else. But that's the point of music, isn't it?

1. Bon Iver - I Can't Make You Love Me. Absolutely brilliant song, and the Justin Vernon falsetto is the perfect complement to the piano. Favorite part is 37 seconds in with the piano. One-hundred percent my favorite piano move ever.


2. My Body is a Cage - Peter Gabriel. Sure, I know of this song because it was in a House episode, but the sheer darkness of this song makes it so incredible. Lots of emotional power in this cover.


3. Call Me the Breeze - Eric Clapton. This song, originally by J.J. Cale, has been covered by lots and lots of different folks, by my favorite has to go to Clapton. This is a song that I could listen to for an entire day on repeat and not get tired of it.


4. The Boxer - Mumford & Sons. Love the move by M&S to have Paul Simon on their cover of the Simon & Garfunkel song, and I think they're the perfect band to cover this kind of song, albeit with their own, Mumford-y spin on it.


5. Mad World - Gary Jules. These next two songs are stripped-down versions of 80's songs, and if there's anything that I'm a huge fan of, it's stripped-down music. There just seems to be a certain focus to it that's really appealing.


6. Love Vigilantes - Iron & Wine. What's so perfect about stripped-down music is that it really gets to the core of what the song is about. Listen to either of the originals either here or above, and the 80's-style music seems to shield some of the true tones of the song.


7. Is This Love - Allen Stone. This song is just filled with grooviness, and is certainly a different take than the one Bob Marley had in mind 30 years ago. Definitely one of those songs that is better live, and there are few places better than Bonaroo to perform it. Here's the link to watch it on YouTube.

8. Happy - John Butler Trio. THIS SONG. I actually watched this video for the first time right now, and WOW. The things that John Butler does with music is unfair. I don't need any more words.


9. Ring of Fire - Social Distortion. Johnny Cash's original version of this song may be one of the most well-known songs ever, but this cover kicks serious ass. Completely different kind of style of music, but just as awesome.


10. 99 Problems - Hugo. Mhm. This rocks. Also makes me want to mash up "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree" in there, so I'm hoping that someone goes out there and creates this wonderful cover-slash-mashup concoction. Until then, this cover will suffice.

No comments:

Post a Comment