Saturday, August 16, 2014

Fortune cookies

I'm rolling my eyes at the fact that I've had two blog posts in the month of August, especially considering that they came within four hours of each other, one of them being a list of music videos. I have a theory that the existence of Twitter (rather, the fact that I exist on Twitter) has been the driving force behind the evolution of my blog. Take this post, for example. This is definitely something that I would put on Twitter instead of my blog. Same goes for this post, and one more, for good measure. Non-coincidentally, all three of these posts were before I actually had a Twitter, so I think there's some merit to this theory. All of the things I can briefly say, I say in 140 characters or less, so the stuff that's more thought-driven and needs a little more elaboration becomes the main focus of what you read about here.

So, let's reverse that trend. Here are five thoughts, none of which have been prepared prior to this blog post, which always makes things more exciting. The catch is that they all have to be fewer than 140 characters. Think of it as five mini blog posts wrapped into one.
  • I've done nothing all weekend besides watch The Office, play piano, and think about how I haven't done anything all weekend.
  • As many nice things we say about people after they leave us, we need to say just as many before.
  • There's a difference between enjoying a day off, and sitting around waiting for something to happen.
  • I only just decided to call this post "Fortune cookies," but I don't think it's that good of a title.
  • Thought Catalog would be a lot more interesting if I didn't end up reading the same post written by ten different people.
I was thinking something about movies the other day. The reason that we (or at least I) think that certain movies are good is because we can connect with them. We listen to certain songs because they strike a certain chord (no pun intended) within us, and read particular books because they bring about specific emotions. This is the self-actualization that Maslow created; the need to connect with something deeper. I've spent a lot of time searching for those connections, and have spent a lot of time trying to offer some here. I can only hope that at least one person has connected with something here.

No comments:

Post a Comment