Thursday, March 6, 2014

3 up, 3 down: songs

So it only took me nearly a year to do a second one of these "3 up, 3 down" posts, but I think I can actually make this one happen. Same deal, in this case three songs that I've been all about recently, and three songs whose stock is falling.

3 up
1. "Jenny" by Walk the Moon
I'm just generally expanding my music selection, and Spotify Premium has a lot to do with that. Albums on albums are finding their way to my playlists, and Walk the Moon is well on its way. This song though, is really upbeat and fairly provocative and it's just a really fun song. Definitely a sweet driving song.

2. "Battles" by Hudson Taylor
I found this song last night while listening to some relaxing Spotify radio. I'm not really sure how this song found its way on that radio station, because it's the least bit relaxing. Cool, story-like lyrics, fun guitars, and two measures of a capella that are my two favorite measures to listen to as of late. Think Ben Howard meets Mumford & Sons.

3. "Cruel and Beautiful World" by Grouplove
This song's chorus sounds absolutely perfect to be sung in a bar by a bunch of people holding large mugs of beer with foam up to the heavens. Seriously, like Miller 64 status. Grouplove have a few solid songs, but this is one that originally fell through the cracks of a first listen of their album, Never Trust a Happy Song. Now this is one of my favorite songs to listen to as of late.

3 down
1. "Hey Brother" by Avicii
No knock on this song as a whole, but from where it started and all the hype it got, I think it's already finished its run. It's a decent song, but I just think it's getting overplayed right now. Then again, that's where we're at with popular music, which is why I try and put music that I like out there every once in a while. Not because it's better, but because it's different.

2. "Trojans" by Atlas Genius
Again, I actually like this song. But there was a period of time where I would have put it in the "3 up" category in a heartbeat, and I haven't listened to it a lot recently. Then again, I'm playing it now because I'm listening to it, and it's all coming back to me as a great song. So I suppose this is more a reflection on me than the song, but again, it's here for a reason. Check it out though, because it's a good song.

3. "I Don't Care" by Icona Pop
This is a song that I can confidently say that I don't really ever listen to anymore. It was fun to listen to when it was popular, which seems like forever ago but was realistically 6-8 months, but by now it just sounds like every other Top 40 hit out there. Maybe I should have just done a "6 songs I'm listening to more recently" post and have been positive and all this fun stuff. But then it wouldn't have been "3 up, 3 down" which I also wanted to do. So that's where I'm at. Hopefully you enjoyed the good music and want nothing to do with the bad music!

No comments:

Post a Comment