Friday, January 11, 2013

The life of a San Die-gon

I love the feeling of knowing I want to blog and knowing exactly what I want to blog about. Here are a few things I've had on my mind today:

"Wash." by Bon Iver is one of their most underrated songs. There's a video someone made to "The Only Moment We Were Alone" of the side of the road as you drive, and I think this song would also fit perfectly. Of the few times I've been on the Stonehill shuttle as of late, I've always loved to just stare out the windows at the world passing by, listening to moderately melancholy music. The sky is dark, but I can still make out the trees along the highway, all the houses along the side of the road. It's a great song for that imagery, I think, and could be the beginning of a playlist of similar songs. Quiet, still, melancholic, but carrying some greater, silent power with it.


Totally changing gears, I totally know what I want to do with my life now. Not that I ever really had any doubt about it, but it's totally official now, after having lived in Pure Math Land for a few days. Coincidentally enough, it's actually not pure math. It's sports and stats. Which, as I said, it more or less has always been. Ideally, I sit behind a computer, think about baseball, and go on the Internet to resolve my thoughts. Which is exactly what I'll be explaining in a second. I just also want to mention that I'd be a freelance psychologist...some kind of independent research who just runs experiments on whatever the hell I feel like. No field, no specialty...just finding out stuff about us. That is the perfect lifestyle for me.

Alright, so this whole baseball/stats/Internet thing. Allow this to be the official plug for SPES and Statistics in Baseball. For anyone who doesn't yet know about it, there's this awesome program at Stonehill where students will be teaching classes to other students, about whatever we damn well please. There are classes about the chemistry of cupcakes, stereotypes at Stonehill, designing for the iPad, and my completely unbiased favorite, statistics in baseball. I sarcastically say unbiased because I'm teaching said class. What we get to do for 12 weeks this semester is go on places like FanGraphs and Baseball-Reference and answer whatever questions I (or we) can think of during the semester. Seriously, I get to do this. HOW COOL. I seriously want to do this stuff for a living and get paid and get to watch baseball games for free and support a team just because I work for them, even if they suck.

So, yep. That's that. Now I just have to make all of these things happen. Got a little over 24 hours left in San Diego; gonna try and get one blog post out tomorrow about the whole thing, head back to the East Coast, and then get ready to go back to Stonehill for another great semester. I feel good right now. Maybe it's the Foo Fighters playing out of my laptop, but I just feel ready to take the world on. It's a good feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment