Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Consider this your serenade

So I used to have this really cool ability to talk about something without actually talking about it. Which seems paradoxical at first, which is exactly the thing. There was a period of time when I was all about contradictions in writing, and playing off the interaction between the opposites to truly get to the bottom of what the hell I was talking about. That is, of course, without actually talking about it. And that ability has seemed to escape me, and this is my first shot at getting it back in quite some time. And I don't suppose I'll know how well I've done until I look back at this post in a few months, and can tell (or perhaps not) exactly what I was thinking about at the time. Sure, I know now, but I mean, I'm writing it...if I don't know what I'm talking about right now, I shouldn't be writing.

Way back when, I talked about how one stanza in a song kind of jumps out at you, and seems to have much more meaning than the entire rest of the song. I'm going to play off that a little bit, on a little less semantic note. You ever go driving around, maybe on the highway, maybe through your city or town, at nighttime? There are the songs that are absolutely made for this, of which a few come right to the top of my head. And some are there because of the entire song, but others are there because of that one stanza, or even phrase or measure where you just belt it out at the top of your lungs. And you can't help but tilt your head back a little bit and smile as you try and hit the high notes, always seeming to come close, yet never minding. It's a damn good feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment