Saturday, September 15, 2012

Mathematical Matt

Cool so psychology is awesome and fun and interesting and stuff, and that's why I'm minoring in it/might want to double-major with it. I'm in the middle of reading about self-perception/self-cognition for my Social Psychology class, and I was going to blog about that stuff in general, or ten studies that I thought were really cool. Like one that concluded that people tend to favor letters that appear in their own name more than other letters (suggesting the existence of implicit egoism). Then I read this, verbatim, from the text:

"For example, men and women are more likely than would be predicted by chance to live in places (Michelle in Michigan, George in Georgia), attend schools (Kari from the University of Kansas, Preston from Penn State University), and choose careers (Dennis and Denise as dentists) whose names resemble their own."

And my immediate line of thought was something along the lines of "Oh, that's silly....wait...I'm a math major...the adjective I used during my summer Orientation that started with the same letter as my name was "mathematical"...WHAT"

This is why psychology is awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment