Friday, September 14, 2012

Time, pt. 5

"How do you go from where you are to where you want to be? I think you have to have an enthusiasm for life. You have to have a dream, a goal, and you have to be willing to work for it."
  - Jim Valvano, 1993 ESPY Awards

The first encounter I had with time on my blog ended like this - "I have a theory. Time is always changing, so something good is bound to happen eventually." After toying around with the concept of time for a little while, it escaped me until today, where we talked about it, very briefly, in (none other than) my philosophy class. Turns out my theory is totally wrong. Well no, not wrong, but I just don't believe it anymore. Martin Luther King, Jr. once said that time is neutral, and can be used destructively or constructively. Time is just there, and what really matters is what we do with it, for justice or injustice. This makes perfect sense now - you're somewhere, at a juncture in life, or in society, and you want to be somewhere. Sitting around waiting for it to happen will get you nowhere. Don't let time hang around and control you. You need to be on top of the time that you have so you can make the most out of it.

"Time changes everything."
"That's what people say. It's not true. Doing things changes things. Not doing things leaves things exactly as they were."
  - House, "One Day, One Room"

No comments:

Post a Comment