Monday, July 16, 2012

Like son, like father

If there's one thing you know about me, it's that I have some rather distinguishable laughs. Most notably the one where I giggle repeatedly and double over in near pain because something is funny. "Hehe" is often used here. Well, I had to get that from somewhere, right? I'm going with my dad, because, well, that's how genetics work. Every summer in Cape Cod, my dad and I would always watch one potentially hilarious movie. Here's what's gone down in the previous five years, since we started doing this:

2007: I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry
Back when Adam Sandler was still funny, we figured that this would be something worth seeing, and it totally was. It actually remains one of my favorite comedies today, because of some of the humor in it. Not to mention that I get to see Dan Aykroyd post-Elwood. He might not be as thin as his days as a Blues Brother, but he's definitely still as funny. And quirky. Makes for a funny movie. This was actually a pretty good movie outside of the comedy as well, because of the messages it sends and how it brings everything together. This might be the last good movie Adam Sandler and his buddies made. After this, he sort of just left everyone that helped him make hilarious movies for a decade and started doing his own thing. Not what he used to be, but that doesn't ruin the kind of hilarious person he was. Good movie.

2008: Step Brothers
Easily my favorite of the movies we've seen. I know a movie is going to be on my all-time list of favorites when there's one scene that unexpectedly happens and I cry my eyes out laughing. It happened during Anchorman, and it happened during Step Brothers. The scene in Step Brothers was longer and didn't make it an instantaneous burst of laughter, but what was going on made it just as hilarious. The best part is knowing that I will never laugh as hard as I did the first time, because I'll be expecting it. Kind of a bummer that I won't cry my eyes out laughing like that, but it happened only once, which makes it awesome.



2009: The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard
I think this movie was/is underratedly funny. It had just the right amount of people I knew from other movies, but not too much to know that everyone in the industry just decided to collaborate on something. Each character was funny in his/her own way, which made everything really interesting. I've only seen this movie once since we saw it in the Cape, and it was during my freshman year at Stonehill. I was stirring around one day and thought, hey, maybe I should watch this movie again. I got through half of it. Not because it's bad, because when I'm stirring around, I can't really stay on one thing for too long. Still a really funny movie though.

2010: Grown Ups
Grown Ups might have been Adam Sandler's swan song. After the movie, I could definitely see where all of those actors thought that it might be one of their last R-rated, raunchy, hilarious movies together, so a bunch of funny guys (Sandler, Kevin James, David Spade, Rob Schneider, Chris Rock) decided to be funny on set for a while and make a movie out of it. (Editor's Note: I include Chris Rock in that list not because he was one of the main actors, but because it was probably one of his last R-rated, raunchy, hilarious movies. It also might have been one of his first.) With some of these guys past their prime as really funny people, it wasn't as hilarious as some of their other movies, but it was still worth seeing. I would watch it again if it were on TV or something. I like thinking that they knew it was one of their last really good movies. Even if that's horribly far from the truth. I like it because they would have put everything they could into one more movie, and I think that shows.

We didn't see any movies in 2011, and have yet to in 2012, but in defense, we've been to the Cape fewer times this summer. Just a lot of stuff going on now that I'm in the almost real world. Back in high school it was like lah-dee-dah let's go watch a movie because we can. Not that it's no longer like that, but it's...actually, I am making it sound like it's no longer like that. Hm...

No comments:

Post a Comment