Tuesday, July 10, 2012

568 days, 218 rooms: Part 1

Allow me to take you to Room #1. At the end of my first blog post, I said that my blog was going to be a representation of me. I'd be lying if I said that wasn't the case, 568 days and 218 posts later. In my previous post, I said that I wanted to see the ten best examples of me thinking about things, where I can read a post and know that I was in the moment at that time, with the wheels turning. And as I started to read through all my blog posts, I started noticing a few things about how I was going about it. I would instantly skip the sports posts, skim through the shorter posts, yet read intensively the longer, more philosophic posts. I now fully believe that Intro to Philosophy has been my favorite class at Stonehill, and has afforded me the most opportunity to learn about myself and the world we live in. It's no accident that a few of these posts come right from my philosophy class. But as I was going through my blog, I thought about these moments that I was in at the time. I can never be in that moment again. Yeah, I can read and remember what I was thinking, and probably what music I was listening to, but I can't capture the same feeling I had as I was writing the words. And I'm okay with that. I'll still pull out some posts that I enjoyed writing/reading, because I think they are an accurate representation of me/my thoughts, but as you go through them, understand that every moment, every room, is different. That's what's so great about this life, that everything is different and new.

I spent the entire time listening to Explosions in the Sky. What I've come to understand about their songs is that they put you in an immediate mood. But what's even better is that you have to learn exactly what that mood is before you can put yourself in it. For the first few times you listen to the song, it's just that - a song. But after, it becomes more. It becomes a part of you, it drives you, and you feel connected to it. I can be in the moment during any part of their music - slow, fast, quiet, loud...and they're all different kinds of moments. When you give yourself to the music, you feel yourself doing so. You feel yourself in the moment, which is what these posts are all about. You know that that moment is something special, and you do everything you can to hold onto it. That's what these are about.

No comments:

Post a Comment