Wednesday, April 30, 2014

The ship has sunk

"The ship is sinking" is a phrase that my AP Stats teacher, and renowned One Day, One Room hero Ms. Trenholm, often said to me during my final weeks as a senior at Watertown High School. It was referring to the general wheels-falling-off of her classes, the students in them, and the work that was (or wasn't) being produced. I remember her telling me that I somehow found a way to keep my own ship afloat, which surprised me, because I felt that I had absolutely nothing to fear or care about in my waning days as a high school student. Now that my last day (singular) as a college student is tomorrow (well, last class, at least), I've come to the conclusion that the ship has sunk. And it did a long time ago. I don't remember when, I don't remember how, but I can wholeheartedly say that I've just lost it. I mean, this is my 17th year of schooling! I couldn't tell you three things I've been doing for 17 years.

Three years and three days ago, I blogged about the last two weeks, and how we shouldn't just let the wheels fall off. I'd like to completely rescind that advice. Maybe it's being a senior, but it's totally time to just screw it. (Actually, I definitely think it's the whole senior thing. I've never felt this way until this year.) The last couple of weeks are upon us, the days will (hopefully) be bright and sunny and warm, and the time between now and May 18 will (hopefully) be filled with nothing but the best times. Everyone said that college was the best four years of your life - I've never really contemplated whether or not that was true, but I definitely want to make these next 18 days the best 18 days I've had in a while. (And for the record, every 18-day span should be the best in a while, but maybe this one can be extra special.) And for that to happen, the ship has to sink. Starting with (ironically enough) watching Superbad tonight. Good start to the beginning of the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment