Tuesday, April 8, 2014

The Great Flood

Yes, I know I haven't blogged in a long time. No, this post doesn't have anything to do with any actual floods - just the sense that the Great Flood lasted 40 days, and there are 40 days until graduation. Not that I'm counting, but I'm just aware. (Strangely enough, I'm aware of the number every day....maybe I am counting....) So here are 40 thoughts (and you thought 10 was a lot) about having 40 days left until graduation, in no particular order, with way more brevity than I would have had this only been a post with 10 thoughts. OH wait I have an idea. Continuous stream of thoughts! To hell with lists of 40.

[1] Forty days doesn't seem like a long time, but [2] if you think about it for a while, it kinda does. [3] What's scary about it is that classes end in 23 days, and [4] that doesn't seem like a long time. [5] Especially not when I have a major assignment in each of my four classes remaining. But I guess that's okay because [6] to date, I don't think I've had any major assignments in any of my four classes. Which means [7] I've had plenty of time to do absolutely nothing this year, [8] and that's really awesome. Some words on my final end-of-a-Stonehill-year blog post - [9] I know what the title is already. [10] And I might have mentioned that before, but either way, [11] I know that's going to be an incredibly emotionally-charged post. I mean it kinda has to be, [12] considering that that's likely my last post ever from Stonehill. [13] I wonder how many times I've blogged at Stonehill....[14] probably a lot.

[15] One thing I've thought about this year is how I'll stay in touch (or not) with people throughout my class. [16] I have almost no contact with the Stonehill Class of 2011, running-into contact with the 2012ers, and every-once-in-a-while conversations with those who graduated last year. [17] But what about my own class? I think what will happen is that everyone will drop down a level. What I mean by that is [18] there are the people I know of in my class, that I don't talk to a lot, and I probably will give them a passing hello if I ever see them again. [19] Then there are the folks who I talk to every once in a while, and will have catchup conversations if our paths cross. [20] The people who I hang out with (but aren't my closest friends) I'll keep in touch with - probably [21] to the same extent that I'm in touch with the Class of 2013. And then [22] I'll keep in solid touch with those I've been close to for four years. [23] But what's interesting about this is that none of us have ever communicated with each other as Stonehill alum. [24] That's a cool thought, to be an alum. [25] I remember in high school thinking that it didn't really mean a lot to me, [26] but then my friends and I visited (as alum) and it definitely felt a little different. [27] I'm guessing Stonehill will be the same kind of thing, but perhaps a little more amplified.

[28] I haven't freaked out about graduation yet. [29] I'm not sure if I'm supposed to or not, but [30] there are honestly some things I won't miss about Stonehill. [31] Real small petty things though, like email and struggles in the cafe and other things that really don't matter in the grand scheme of things. [32] Stonehill has still been more than excellent to me, [33] and I've done what I can to return the favor. [34] Being aware of that give-and-take with Stonehill is something that's been going on since freshman year ([35] at least, I'd like to think it's been that long), and [36] will continue after I graduate. [37] But I'm not looking ahead to the end ([38] despite what this blog post may imply). [39] Right now is all that matters, [40] and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.


No comments:

Post a Comment