Saturday, October 5, 2013

Top 10 Glee songs

Despite the fact that I haven't watched consecutive episodes of Glee since the start of its second season (2011), there are still a decent number of songs that I've loved from the show. Using memory, and this nice database, here are my top ten songs from Glee.

Honorable mention: "Just The Way You Are" Yes, I'm doing this backwards, because I actually want to do this in order. Makes sense, right? Coming in just shy of the top ten is "Just The Way You Are." A theme that I found in these eleven songs is that there's a ton of emotion put into each performance, whether it be for heartwarming or heartbreaking reasons. (There may be one exception that isn't on the heart spectrum.) This is just a nice little tune that was put together well, so it gets some recognition here.


10. "Keep Holding On" This is just a good song, I really like how this sounds. It's fun to harmonize to and pretend that I'm still decent at singing, but that's really all I have to say about it.


9. "Roots Before Branches" Had I stuck with the show through the end of the third season, I would have probably ranked this higher. Having only seen it on YouTube and out of context of the entire season, this song just barely makes the cut. Really powerful song, and incredibly well done.


8. "Homeward Bound / Home" Another song that I discovered after I stopped watching Glee, but this is another song that was insanely well put together. Philip Phillip's "Home" is this upbeat, happy song, but Glee took it and completely changed that, and it sounds really good, almost like you're being teased for a faster version.


7. "Creep" This is the one song that doesn't fit into the really happy or really sad category, but it might turn out to be the most powerful on this list. The fact that Lea Michele can hit those insanely high notes without falsetto is just unreal. Seriously, that's what makes this song amazing. Just imagine how much more I love the next six songs then...unfortunately I can't find a performance video, but here's the breakup scene that leads to the song.


6. "The Only ExceptionThis is where it starts to get all sad and everything, with these next four songs. This is the kind of performance that made me quasi-fall in love with Rachel Berry during the first season of Glee (despite this performance coming in Season Two). The performance video also has a high amount of characters staring off into space, which is indicative of the emotional significance of this song.



5. "The Scientist" Again, I didn't see this live, but knowing that this was in the middle of all of the turmoil that every character was going through, you can tell how emotionally charged of a song this is, too. "The Scientist" is an amazing song on its own, and the cover that Glee did is amazing as well.


4. "Total Eclipse Of The Heart" Alright, I'm a total sucker for this one. It's one thousand percent the harmony at the end (3:48 in the link). This is also a great example of the video actually pushing forth a storyline, instead of just being an outlet for the storyline to break into song. That might make no sense to anyone other than me in this moment, but I'm sticking with it.


3. "No Air" This was, if I remember correctly, the first song that I loved on Glee. All the way back in Season One, this one just has some really cool harmonies for a song that I had never heard before. I remember listening to this on my iPod and being able to tease out different parts in the melodies. It's a really good song for a show that hadn't really developed an identity yet.


T-1. "Faithfully" I just couldn't keep this song off the top spot, I really couldn't. If I come up with these rankings ten times, this is probably on its own at the top probably six of those times. This just isn't one of them. This song came at the end of the first season, and was pretty much the song that set Finn and Rachel off to be what they ended up becoming. Or something like that. It's an awesome song to sing, fun to play on piano, and fun to watch. I'm telling you, six times out of ten, this is alone at the top of the list. Just not right now.


T-1. "Somebody To Love" Let it be known that this is not the Justin Bieber version. This is the Queen version, and might have been the second song I came to love on Glee. This breaks the trend in my rankings of horribly saddening songs, and ends on a positive note. It's a fun song that's really fun to sing, and is just such a classic that it was pretty much the number one contender from the moment I decided to blog about this. So, with that, "Somebody To Love" takes the top spot on my Glee best songs rankings...for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment