Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Privilege is invisible to those who have it/The Cave

For starters, I love songs that have two parts to the name ("Beth/Rest" and "Head Full of Doubt/Road Full of Promise" are the two I'm thinking of). So, I'll do (what I believe to be) my first blog post as such. "Privilege is invisible to those who have it." That's a quite from (none other than) one of my Gender Studies readings. And it's a really cool quote, and also incredibly true. As cool/true as the other phrase from Gender Studies that I've blogged about. Contextually, this was spoken by a white male, who has the most privilege out of all of the categories of race/gender. Out of context, this seems true everywhere. I wish I had more to say about this, and I might have had more, had I blogged about this last week when I first read it. Alas. It's a cool quote, so think about it and think about how it relates to your life.

Now, for The Cave. This is, on a very minute level, relevant to what I just talked about. Doesn't really have anything to do with privilege, though - more for the notion that what feels natural may just be invisible. When I'm referring to The Cave here, I mean Plato's. (Editor's Note: "The Cave," by Mumford & Sons, seems to be an allusion to Plato's Cave, which makes the song all that better. Check it out here.) You can read the allegory here, but in an attempt to briefly explain it, I will say that that which seems to be our reality may be the furthest thing from it. There's a quote out there that reads something like "We don't know who invented water, but we know it wasn't the fish." How can the fish invent water if that's what the fish has been living in? The fish can only know what water is when the fish realizes what water isn't. It's a really cool line of thought. I've extended this idea to myself in thinking about a scene from Anger Management, which I've posted below. To answer the question, "Who are you?," I would now answer, that which I am not.


No comments:

Post a Comment