Monday, January 9, 2012

Brand New Day

I pride myself with House knowledge to the point where given most situations or problems, I can recall (with great detail) the episode and scene that best resembles what's going on in real life. Or some quote that someone said (usually House) that explains everything perfectly. Anyone who's ever heard me "go House" on them has rolled their eyes at another attempt of mine to use television as a model for real life. While you may think this post is going a certain direction, I'm taking it in the complete opposite way. Oops.

One of the few things where I can't pull some House-related thing out of my ass is stuff with House and Cuddy. It might be because I was so focused on everything else House said, but I never really followed (with as great detail as other things) or even enjoyed the House/Cuddy stuff. Because that's not what House was about. House was about being this miserable, lonesome, brilliant man who could solve puzzles and use metaphors like he created the idea (something else I pride myself on being able to use). That's where I'm taking this post.

It kinda sucks though, because I can't throw down a quote or video and freely interpret it to my own life. Which is usually what I bank on being able to do whenever I talk about House. And not that I'm not able to do that, it's like I'm stuck. Heh. Stuck. That's something I can run with. Season 5, Episode 14. "The Greater Good." Granted I had to look up the episode and title, but I got the right season.

Wilson, as he tells a patient, that he is stuck. Stuck because Amber died in the bus crash, and she was the only person he had loved in a long time. He was still living in her apartment, and had kept everything as it was before her death. And he had told this to the patient, and she replied with one of the best pieces of advice House has ever sent out. "The only wrong thing is to do nothing." And that's so true. Hah. See, this is the beauty of knowing everything ever said in a TV show. Also from House - from "One Day, One Room" actually: "Doing things changes things. Not doing things leaves things exactly as they were." More truth. If you feel stuck, do something about it. Sitting around will only keep you stuck.

The end of "The Greater Good" is a montage to Joshua Radin's "Brand New Day." The last scene is Wilson in Amber's apartment, doing the dishes. He looks at a mug that she drank from, with her lipstick on it, and begins to wash it.


No comments:

Post a Comment