Wednesday, September 7, 2011

5 bands I badly want to see in concert

I've been holding off on this post for way too long, and it's been due to a plethora of having no time on my hands, doing nothing with my time once I get it, and some third thing. Alas, I finally talk about the five bands I would absolutely love to see live. This does not necessarily mean that these five bands are my favorite, or that these are in any order, but these are just five bands that I'm pretty sure I would love to see. Multiple times. In the same week. And buy the DVD set.

1. Foo Fighters. I was close to getting tickets to see them at the TD Garden in November, but there are no reasonably-priced-for-a-college-student-with-a-summer-job tickets that aren't behind the stage. I'm sure the music would be great still, but if I'm going to a Foo Fighters concert, I wanna see every hair on Dave Grohl's thickly bearded face. But it would be so awesome to hear them just scream during parts of their songs, as well as hear one or two of their songs acoustically. For any Foo Fighters fan who hasn't yet, check out some of their songs on the DVD Skin & Bones. Some really good songs are there.

2. Daughtry. Daughtry is in the same group as Foo Fighters, where I don't have to know what song they're playing to keep listening to them. Granted, most of Daughtry's songs are very similar, but I love the style of every song, so I keep on listening to whatever. One song I can think of that I love hearing on Pandora is "Crashed," posted below. Daughtry is also one of the few bands that can convince me to buy an entire album just because I love two or three of their songs. The same gritty, heavy-rock guitars that Foo Fighters would bring would also be there during a Daughtry concert, which is why I'd also love to see them.

3. U2. Good God, I hope these guys keep playing until they're like 80 years old. Bono has, in my opinion, the most incredible voice I've ever heard, with an unprecedented vocal range. Unlike the previous two bands, U2 has a lot of variety in their songs, where you can listen to something like Bad one day and Pride (In the Name of Love) the next. Granted a U2 concert is probably a bagillion dollars to go to, but it'd definitely be worth it. (Editor's Note: Yes, I am entirely aware that this completely contradicts my 10-word hyphenated description of my financial status, but U2 is just amazing. The end.) Not to mention that The Joshua Tree is by far the greatest album ever. I honestly couldn't tell you in under 5 seconds what my favorite U2 song is, however. That's because 1) all of their songs are awesome, and 2) there are many songs for many moods. I've listened to U2 in about 10 different scenarios, so it's hard to say which one comes out on top. For now, I'll leave it as a tie between "Sunday Bloody Sunday" (posted below) and I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.

4. John Butler Trio. Yeah, I've already seen them in concert once before, but it was honestly the best concert I've been to (out of 5. Granted it's not a lot, but I'm sure this will still be my favorite concert after 10 more concerts). JBT is the perfect combination of jamming, the typical 4- or 5-minute song that everyone loves singing at the top of their lungs, concert theatrics, emotionally magnificent songs, and Ocean. I've already talked about Ocean, so I'll post a video of John Butler jamming. I could listen to him do this all day long...it's like you know something amazing is going to happen soon, but you have no idea when, so the suspense and tension builds up the entire time, making the actual jamming awesome.

5. Dave Matthews Band. This was close between DMB and the honorable mention concert I'll talk about next, but I feel like DMB would put on a really good show. After I was introduced into the not-on-the-radio DMB music, I realized that it's not the Dave Matthews I know. For me, there are three categories to the DMB I know of. One, "Ants Marching" and "What Would You Say?" are the first two songs I heard, and have always been like the definition (to me) of mainstream DMB. Next comes stuff like The Space Between, Stay (Wasting Time), and Satellite. The second-tier stuff that most people had heard of, but not everyone, and was getting into his music a little more. Then there are the songs that would sound awesome in concert, to hear DMB yelling and jamming and all that fun stuff I love so endearingly ("Where the World Ends," "Some Devil," and other songs). However, I'm a sucker for jamming, as everyone knows very well by now, so below is a link of Warren Haynes (who plays with the Allman Brothers Band) playing with DMB.

Honorable Mention: Explosions in the Sky. Explosions in the Sky is how music should be sometimes. No words. It's funny though - I realized a few days ago that lyricless music does have lyrics - it's the meaning everyone fits to the melody and surrounding parts. For many songs, the words never change, so why can't the melody stay the same for lyricless music? In the same manner that anyone could finish the sentence "She was lookin' kind of dumb," I know what comes next once I hear part of an Explosions in the Sky song. Granted, I really only know one album, but that's all I need for now. It's a peaceful 43 minutes for me, and I'm really interested to see what they're like in concert, where no one's singing along with every word.

So there it is. Five (or six) bands that I'd love to see in concert. But for now, studio versions will have to suffice. Not like I'm going to complain about that or anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment