Tuesday, July 1, 2014

The ship is syncing

Here's where we're at in society in terms of technology. We have what seems to be an endless supply of potential in terms of technological advances. I'm typing this on a computer that isn't attached to any monitors, or anything at all for that matter. Pretty soon, I'll post this page to two social media sites that allow for essentially anything to be visible to the public. I do this because it works - because I really can't think of any other way to communicate my thoughts other than sending it to as many people as possible at once. Some will read it, most will not (you're in the first category, obviously), but I do this for the some who will.

There are a ton of messages that are being sent that are imploring us to get off our phones. Contrarily, there seem to be just as many that remind us how powerful technology can be. Take a look at two of them here.


There are valid points in each of these videos. I can see both sides of the coin, and I think that each of these videos is done well enough so that you can glean what the message is from each. Which brings me to my point - technology isn't inherently something that's killing our minds or allowing us to connect with everyone, there isn't any black-or-white-ness to all of this. It's how you use technology that makes it what it is. If you're someone who needs to be on their phone for work purposes, or need to FaceTime someone to have the only interaction possible with that person, then technology means a lot more to you than someone who's more old-school and doesn't need those in their life. Technology, like anything in life, exists in relation to its functionality. (Editor's Note: Future blog post?)

So I leave you with this - my post title - the ship is syncing. This one sentence has two separate meanings, depending on your spelling of the final word. One side of the coin is a technological revolution that can make anything seem possible. The other, a driving force behind the loss of personal touch and connection. Where are you on the ship?

No comments:

Post a Comment