Saturday, June 30, 2012

8 highs of Orientation

Orientation hasn't left me yet. Yeah, we're all done, but there's no way this feeling is going away for at least a long time. The last ten days have been absolutely incredible. Here are some of my favorite moments:

- Literally the first time I saw everyone. I remember walking into the Sem cafe and seeing everyone talking, hugging each other, seeing each other for the first time in a while...sometimes meeting each other for the first time ever. I was so in love with the energy in the room and everyone there that I couldn't be more excited for what was ahead.

- For the second year in a row, my two groups were amazing. I've had the pleasure in my two years to have two awesome partners and four amazing groups. Our first group bonded quickly and I have a great feeling about the opportunity I have to see them grow throughout their first year and beyond. Second session went just as well - Values Game worked incredibly well with the mentees, as some of them opened up and felt comfortable in the context of the game. It was amazing to see the transformation right before me.

- Seeing other groups rally around something was one of my favorite parts about Orientation. Watching Cotrone and Tori Kane's group fall in love with that damn chicken hat on the tiki torch was hilarious, as well as the honey badgers and the classy Group 24. I have no doubt in my mind that everyone in those groups will keep that going for the next four years.

- I remember thinking on Thursday morning that I could do this forever, and that I wanted to do it forever. The waking up at 5:15 a.m., the minimal sleep, and the constant structure is all worth it. I actually enjoyed it; I didn't even think of waking up early as a bad thing. It was actually one of my favorite parts of Orientation.

- I didn't get sick! Last year, I got sick after the first night in O'Hara, then lost my voice, and was dreadful throughout the week. Everyone picked me up, which was awesome, but this year, none of it was needed. Being on campus before Orientation helped, and I actually knew how to handle screaming during Capture the Flag, welcoming, and the run in.

- Everything about this year felt real. Last year, I was just happy to be here. I did my thing, Orientation was awesome, and I was excited to do it all over again. But this year was so much different than that. I really felt that we were all making a difference. Not only to our mentees and the Class of 2016 as a whole, but to each other. It really is our essence that we wear on our sleeves and wake up with every day of our lives. It's who we are, and I've been nothing but grateful to share my essence with everyone on this team, but to see everyone's true essence come out in moments that the entire team shares as a whole. It's absolutely perfect.

- My last high was Playfair of session two. Actually, I lied. I'll break this into two parts. The first one was the beginning, where all the mentees run through the line of Peer Mentors. Yeah, it was an awesome feeling to be jumping and yelling and giving everyone a high five, but my favorite part was that moment after I would yell and scream and cheer for so long that I had to stop and take a breath. My core literally felt empty, and that was because I was putting everything I had out for the students. I know that everyone else did this too, just by seeing the pure excitement on everyone's faces. It was incredible.

- My real last high was the end of Playfair (fittingly enough). Newton had the students form a huge circle on the football field, with the PMs in the middle around the 50-yard line. He called out for students to run across and high five Peer mentors if they were the first in their family to go to college, if they loved pets, if they lived in Massachusetts...basically a giant Where the Wind Blows where everyone gives you a high five for being you. At the end, Newton had them all walk towards us, and everyone just started cheering for each other. It was such an amazing feeling to know that it was all real and that the Peer Mentors and the Class of 2016 shared it together. This might end up being one of my favorite moments to ever do with Orientation.

This year was absolutely amazing, and I really am blessed to have shared it with everyone on this team.


No comments:

Post a Comment