Tuesday, April 3, 2012

THE RULEBOOK

"It's about how to live your life."

The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch is one of my favorite books ever. I say this because it's one of the few books I've voluntarily read, and read multiple times. (Yes, those are the only two qualifications for being one of my favorite books ever.) For those who don't know, Randy Pausch was a professor at Carnegie Mellon University, diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He gave a "last lecture" to about 400 people, and wrote a book after the lecture. The book, which I enjoyed more, had anecdotes from Pausch's life that served as a foundation for viewing our own lives. Little tidbits of advice that can go a long way and mean a lot to people. Pausch wasn't trying to be a hero - he was giving the lecture for his three children, who were all under the age of six at the time of his talk. Even though his lecture was intended for an audience of three, everyone can draw something from this book and incorporate it into their own lives. What I've decided to do is exactly that, but from sources other than the book. Including, and in no way limited to, my own beliefs, The Last Lecture, my AP Physics teacher in high school, conversations with people, and other quotes and readings.

I thought about dedicating an entirely separate blog for this concept. I'm still considering that as an option, but for now, I'm keeping it here. Separating The Rulebook from One Day, One Room would kind of nullify the meaning of this blog. So, I'll go with a tab on the blog with links to each rule I talk about.

And don't think of these as rules. Think of them as someone's opinion that you have entirely no obligation to adhere to. That's what makes your own belief system so effective. You'll see exactly what I mean soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment