Sunday, February 26, 2012

Year twO

I knew that there was going to be a point during my second year of being a Peer Mentor where I would truly realize that this team, while having a lot of returners, would be in essence a completely different team than last year.

I just didn't think it would happen in 45 minutes.

At our Meet and Greet on Friday, we had a human scavenger hunt, where we needed to find team members who fit certain qualifications (who had more than two siblings, who could touch their tongue to their nose, stuff like that). You had to find someone with the same birthday as you, so as soon as I read that, I began to write down the only other Peer Mentor I knew whose birthday was December 6th. The only problem was that she was on last year's team, and after I wrote down the first letter of her name, I stopped in my tracks and mouthed "oh no" to no one in particular.

So, although I knew this whole "new year, new team" blog post was going to happen at some point, I had no intentions of it happening in February. But hey, that's just one of the curveballs of life, right? If only I could hit...

To everyone on the Peer Mentor team this year, including the new members who I'm not yet friends with on Facebook, and who may never actually end up reading this....let's go. I'm excited for another spring of preparation, mega-bonding, and anticipation about the amount of energy that's going to be surging through all 65 of us in late June. All that buildup on Monday morning at 5:30am, knowing that some of the longest and best days of the year are ahead of you. The calm before the storm; after welcoming everyone onto campus, but before the run into SpoCo. Dear God am I excited for this whole thing again.

No comments:

Post a Comment