Thursday, February 9, 2012

Out-of-town teams

Bad titles aside (going for "out-of-town scores" reference, but clearly, to no avail), this post will be about my second-favorite team in each sport. Because, you know, living in Boston for my entire life kinda determined who I was going to root for as a child.

MLB: Tampa Bay Rays
I love the Rays. So much that I want a custom-designed light blue hat with a white brim. Said hat does not exist. I could probably have an entire post about why I love the Rays so much, why it's always my Camp P wiffleball tournament team name (still no ring), why I go around yelling "RAYS BASEBALL" even when no one's talking about baseball, and plenty of other things I do that would pass as borderline crazy. Good thing Joe Maddon loves that. I just love how they play baseball - young pitching (they have had a starting pitcher under 30 years old on the mound for the past near-800 games), a bullpen that was tops in the league a couple of years ago, and who doesn't love cowbells? MORE COWBELL!

NFL: Houston Texans
I've been a fan of the Texans ever since they totally sucked in their first couple of years in the league. While I'm certain I was swayed by their awesome uniforms, they've gotten better almost every year, and finally made the playoffs this past season. Besides, we need someone to feasibly root for in the AFC South to beat the Colts, right? Houston is young and talented, and will always bring exciting football to the table.

NBA: Oklahoma City Thunder
Kevin Durant. That is all. The fact that I drafted him with the #1 pick in fantasy basketball this year is a big reason why I love the Thunder, but much like the Rays and Texans, they're young, sucked not too long ago, and have exciting players. Plus, who doesn't love a giant bison mascot?

NHL: Ottawa Senators
Alright, I'll come clean - I actually have no second favorite team in the NHL. The only reason I chose the Senators is because of the Stanely Cup (no misspelling) every last week of the summer at Camp Pequossette. Last year I took the fourth and fifth graders to their first-ever championship in 15 years, and my first as a head coach. The best part? The third graders are just as good. Repeat?

Of course, when it comes time for the Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics, or Bruins to play any of these teams, I always cheer for the local squad. But outside of those games, I have no shame in calling myself a fan of any of these teams. (Senators excluded. I just wanted to relive my Stanely Cup glory.)

No comments:

Post a Comment