Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Self-philosophy

Last weekend I went up to Lake Winnipesaukee with a few of my friends from Stonehill, and I happened to wake up (accidentally (although I suppose when one happens to do something, it's often accidental)) at 5 in the morning. I grew excited because that meant the sun was rising, so I went outside on the docks and watched the sun come up. And as I saw the sun rise, I recalled that the Earth revolves around the sun, and that the Earth was moving, not the sun. So then I began wondering...if the Earth and the other 7 or 8 planets (depending on when you were born, you probably still consider Pluto a planet) revolve around the sun, which is a star, then what revolves around other stars? There are gazillions of stars out there (alright, it's closer to a thousand trillion (10^12) in our galaxy)...so it would follow that there are plenty of stars to go around where there has to be another planet with sustainable life on it. So when someone asks you if there is life on other planets, don't limit yourself to the 7 or 8 planets you're familiar with. Broaden your search to include the 10^12 stars per galaxy in the 10^12 galaxies there are. It's mathematically probable that there is life on other planets.

No comments:

Post a Comment