Saturday, October 18, 2014

Rippy bits

Here's what happens when I don't blog for eight days:

A feeling that I need to blog arises. It festers. Sometimes I'll think of things I want to blog about, but don't feel strongly enough to blog about in that moment. I'll come up with post titles, ideas, words, but not be able to put them together cohesively. I remember song lyrics more often, quotes from movies.

So here's everything that I've been thinking about for the past week, in shredded bits and pieces. At various points in time, I believed that they were enough for a blog post, and now, they finally are.

A lyric from "Holocene" by Bon Iver: "We smoked a screen to make it what it was to be; now to know it in my memory." The post, which would have been called Smokescreen, would have been something along those lines of putting up a screen to make life appear differently; perhaps rose-colored lenses, if you will.

Two quotes about perspectives of life that I really like. The first, from The Town: "But I know I'll see you again; this side or the other." The second, from Lost: "If you don't see me in this life, you'll see me in the next."

The idea that perception is reality. Not necessarily that I believe this idea, but that nothing is seen or experienced the exact same way by two different people. How I feel the cold air on a snowy night is different from how you feel it, and if you and I are together, whose reality is correct? There's a quote from the final Harry Potter book (and yes, I opened the book for this quote, instead of the movie clip) that is absolutely perfect for this:

"Tell me one last thing," said Harry. "Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?"
Dumbledore beamed at him, and his voice sounded loud and strong in Harry's ears even though the bright mist was descending again, obscuring his figure.
"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"

No comments:

Post a Comment